The National Farm to School Network is now accepting applications for a full time finance and operations director. The position description may be found below or downloaded as a PDF here. Please share this listing with anyone you think is interested and qualified. The deadline to apply is February 25, 2015.
As this is a remote position, candidates will be considered from any location within the United States.
All inquiries related to this job announcement should be directed to this email address.
Finance and Operations Director
About the National Farm to School Network: The National Farm to School Network (NFSN) is an information, advocacy and networking hub for communities working to bring local food sourcing and food and agriculture education (including school gardens) into schools and preschools. Farm to school (F2S) empowers children and families to make informed food choices, while strengthening the local economy and contributing to vibrant communities. NFSN provides vision, leadership and support at the state, regional and national levels to connect and expand the farm to school movement. Our network includes national staff, eight regional leads, 51 state leads, an advisory board and thousands of farm to school supporters. For more information, explore our website. NFSN is a project of Tides Center, the nation’s largest fiscal sponsor. Tides Center is a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco that works with individuals, groups and funders to implement and accelerate positive social change in the nonprofit sector. For more information, please visit tides.org.
The finance and operations director will direct all organizational activities related to finance, budgeting, human resources and general operations. The finance and operations director
will be part of the organizational leadership team, serving as a strategic thought partner and reporting directly to the executive director (ED). Projected start date: April 1, 2015
Financial Management:Provide financial management and budgeting leadership for the organization, ensuring that resource allocation is in line with budget and directed appropriately to all departments. Specifically, provide oversight for the following processes:
- Budgeting: Oversee and lead the annual budgeting and planning process, in conjunction with ED; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep leadership team (department directors, ED) and advisory board abreast of organization’s financial status. Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Bookkeeping: Review monthly financial reports provided by Tides Center, checking them for accuracy, identifying and requesting any re-classifications of expenditures or revenue needed promptly. Review and allocate monthly salary allocations in Salesforce to reflect available funding and workload.
- Fundraising: Work with development director to better operationalize receipt of grant awards, acknowledgement letters, schedule regular updates and grant reporting for funders. Lead development of grant project budgets as needed.
- Contract management: In conjunction with Tides Center, implement a robust contracts management and system, ensuring timely and appropriate development and monitoring all NFSN contracts.
- Accounting: Work with Tides Center and manage NFSN administrative staff to ensure efficient and timely processing of invoices, reimbursement requests, credit card payments, creation of program and funding IDs, and reclassification requests as needed.
- Develop and implement appropriate fiscal and cost-containment policies, procedures and controls.
- Identify and communicate critical financial matters to ED and the leadership team in a timely manner and provide guidance on appropriate follow-up actions needed.
- Lead processes to ensure overall organizational efficiency and success in the following areas: Communications systems and avenues both internal (within staff and core partners) and external (with members, donors, partners). This includes use of Dropbox, Basecamp, Google Docs and other communications platforms.
- Technology Infrastructure: Inventory existing infrastructure and plan for future needs, develop processes for evaluating, purchasing and maintaining IT hardware, software for NFSN.
- Database Systems: Review existing database systems and plan for future needs.
- Meetings: Manage weekly and quarterly staff meetings and board meetings (in consultation with ED and other department directors). Ensure that meetings are run efficiently with adequate preparation and necessary follow-ups.
- Organizational Calendar: Review and maintain the organizational calendar to track and plan for activities.
- Travel: Create a review, approval and monitoring system for travel requests by staff.
- Team Building: Plan for team building and collaborative working opportunities for all staff and advisory board.
- Operations Manual: Review and lead the update of organizational operations manual on a regular basis.
- Membership: Review and provide strategic guidance relative to NFSN membership in other organizations/coalitions and maintain a structure for proposing and approving new opportunities.
- Stage-Gate Process: Work with ED, program staff and strategic planning committee of the Advisory Board to develop processes for reviewing new opportunities.
- Events: Direct logistics contractors and staff in planning and implementation of the National Farm to Cafeteria Conference, and other NFSN events as needed.
- Staff management: Supervise the operations associate, and other staff positions or interns in the Finance & Operations Department
- Contract Management: Supervise the contractors related to conference and event management, and evaluation.
- Communicate any critical operational issues to the ED and leadership team in a timely manner, and provide guidance on appropriate follow up actions needed.
In consultation with the Tides Center staff, lead the personnel planning and procedures to meet the strategic needs of NFSN. Specifically:
- Oversee the development and implementation of procedures and policies for recruiting, hiring, performance management, on-boarding, exit, professional development, staff management and other key human resource related functions.
- Process all human resource related actions through Salesforce.
- Lead annual performance review process for all staff.
- Develop and oversee compensation guidelines, recommend annual compensation adjustments based on comparable data.
- Update and inform staff of relevant information related to personnel policies and benefit policies, and assist them as needed.
- Inform staff of any actions needed for payroll and annual benefit elections through Tides Center.
- Oversee and approve vacation and time-off requests through Tides Center portal.
- Communicate any critical personnel-related issues to the ED and/or Leadership Team (as appropriate) in a timely manner, and provide guidance on appropriate follow up actions needed.
Travel Requirements: As needed for conducting the duties of the position and representing NFSN
- Bachelors degree in accounting, business or non-profit management / administration; advanced degree preferred
- A minimum of 7-10 years experience in finance, non-profit management, with at least 5 years in a senior management position
- Experience in financial and accounting systems
- Experience in human resource development and performance management
- Self-motivated, demonstrating leadership skills
- Sound judgment and critical thinking
- Collaborative nature, skilled at developing good working relationships with all staff, partners and contractors
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, handling multiple tasks
- Exceptional trouble-shooting and problem-solving skills, ability to resolve issues proactively and creatively
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Passion and interest in NFSN’s mission and activities
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. NFSN/Tides Center offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
This position requires approximately 8 hours per day either sitting at a desk (responding to emails, developing materials, or being on the phone) or attending meetings outside of the office. This position requires some travel to conferences and events to represent NFSN and to attend organizational staff meetings and annual meeting.
NFSN does not have a central office location. This position will be working from a remote office / home office set up. While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the employee will encounter: a basic office environment, visits to schools or farms, conference centers or hotels where events are being held.
Candidates who meet the above-stated qualifications will be considered. In addition to a resume, your application materials must include a cover letter and three references. Please submit your application to to this email address with the subject line “Finance and Operations Director." No phone calls please. Deadline for applications: February 25, 2015.
National Farm to School Network, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.